NSW DER Laptops

A forum for teachers that are using the NSW Digital Education Revolution (DER) laptops

You are not connected. Please login or register

to Moodle or not to moodle

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 to Moodle or not to moodle on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:54 am

I have a colleague,friend in the catholic system who have been using laptops for a few years and were provided with a lesson platform ( not moodle). I have heard of moodle and had a quick look at it up but am not sure whether I should be downloading it or whether the department has put something in place for us?? It seems that a lot of you are Moodle lovers so maybe you can help me out. Question Question Question

View user profile

2 Moodle definitely on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:22 pm

For the DET schools that had a "Gproxy/Sentral" server the journey into Moodle was made somewhat easy - the program was pre-loaded and available for tinkering.

But even if you dont have this option its a worthwhile journey. I could wax lyrical for hours on the benefits of Moodle. Can not think of a reason why not to use it.

View user profile

3 moodle lover but really love LAMS on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:16 pm

Moodle is great but you won't get IT support so don't expect it. But you should look at LAMS too if you are the creative learning designer. Not just course content repository. Very cool tools and user personalisation capabilities. Once again, not supported by DET (yet)!

View user profile

4 lams lams lams on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:20 am

Will have a look. My problem is I havent even been able to experiment with moodle as it needs to be on a server . Hope Lams is more accessable. I am a hands on learner and need to have a go at practical application. Basketball

View user profile

5 Portable Moodle on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:46 am

I've been using Moodle for a few years.

Many teachers find that a trial on their own computer is a way to go. My personal laptop has Moodle on it so that I can develop and test resources. I still haven't been given a DERvice yet. Many others have too.

We have also used a portable version - installed on a thumb drive. Then we can send it or given it to students. That is how remote students in a Distance Education setting can have some experience of it (though with limited functionality). This portable version could also be used by a teacher to experiment with, though I doubt it could be run the DERvices as I have heard conflicting comments on whether portable applications can run on them. If I had one I would try it out.

Overall Moodle is fantastic Like a Star @ heaven , but support (from outside of DET) has also been really helpful.

Last edited by col on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile http://cm.site-hosts.net

6 portable moodle on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:41 pm

col, would love to get a hold of that portable version so i can have a go. is it able to be sent via department email or way too big a file, otherwise how can i get hold of one. Basketball

View user profile

7 Getting Moodle on a stick on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:54 am

JT wrote:col, would love to get a hold of that portable version so i can have a go. is it able to be sent via department email or way too big a file, otherwise how can i get hold of one. Basketball
Try this Installation guide for an old version. You will then need to follow the usual upgrade instructions to bring it up-to-date.
Hey I've just noticed the link on that page to Poodle which sounds like a much better solution - it is more up-to-date and looks like it comes in a more user-friendly package. Very Happy
Any way you try it out, I strongly recommend following the documentation provided on the moodle documentation pages.

View user profile http://cm.site-hosts.net

8 Re: to Moodle or not to moodle on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:05 am

have had a go Lyn harvey has a site at port hacking high and she has let me have a fiddle but i will keep options open thanks. Basketball

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum