NSW DER Laptops

A forum for teachers that are using the NSW Digital Education Revolution (DER) laptops

You are not connected. Please login or register

camera trouble

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 camera trouble on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:52 am

Well you guys are way ahead of me I can't even get my camera to open, any hints would be appreaciated.
I have 2 SetS10e shortcuts one turns screen to roll and one stops it if that helps???

Basketball love this game will make it my signature

View user profile

2 Re: camera trouble on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:20 am

Heya JT, to the best of my knowledge you shouldn't need to do anything to access the camera - it should be auto-functioning.

There are two applications that I have found that use the camera.

1. Quick Mark - this seems to be just a camera capture program. If You press the || pause button it freezes the camera. Double clicking on a "live" camera zooms in, right-clicking zooms out. You can then use Print Screen (Fn+Del) to copy the image to the clipboard and paste into paint, word etc. IMHO this application seems pretty pointless.

2. Adobe Premier Elements 7 - this is Adobe's movie editing application and can directly access the camera and use it to record. This application has heaps of possibilities: getting students to make their own newsreels, record video diaries, etc. I haven't had an indepth play around with this as yet, but it does seem to be at the edge of the laptop's processing power.

View user profile http://nswder.forumotion.net

3 camera trouble on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:56 am

will give it a burl Basketball

View user profile

4 Re: camera trouble on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:10 am

duane.galle wrote:
1. Quick Mark - this seems to be just a camera capture program.

From the DET Intranet DER site, Features of the Laptop, Software - Quickmark is a barcode reader, hence the red square I remember seeing when I played with it.

It really appears like they've forgotten to include the Lenovo software to capture from the camera.

5 Re: camera trouble on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:02 am

simonjob wrote:
duane.galle wrote:
1. Quick Mark - this seems to be just a camera capture program.

From the DET Intranet DER site, Features of the Laptop, Software - Quickmark is a barcode reader, hence the red square I remember seeing when I played with it.

It really appears like they've forgotten to include the Lenovo software to capture from the camera.

Ahh....which makes me wonder....why? I suppose it could be used for OASIS barcodes (library etc).

As to the Lenovo software, I completely agree. I was also under the impression that there was going to be some IM type software on the laptops - sadly this doesn't seem to be the case. This is an area where the "protection" of students seems to be at loggerheads with access to wonderful learning opportunities. I remember recently reading a blog where an English teacher in middle school in the states had conducted a video conference call using Skype (or something similar) with one of the authors that the class was studying. But given the draconian/Orwellian approach to accessing technology that the DET seems to operate within, I can't see this happening anytime soon scratch

View user profile http://nswder.forumotion.net

6 Re: camera trouble on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:11 pm

I was thinking the barcode reader might be for support in some way, something the TSO will use??

The DET's mindset about communicating with the outside world would be Connected Classrooms, I suspect.

7 camera trouble on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Well guys, I have had a go at both those programs and the quick mark is not all that great for capture. The adobe video capture has a slight delay with sound so nothing extrordinary to report. Basketball

View user profile

8 Re: camera trouble on Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm really hoping that we end up with a fast, simple way to capture still images, as well as video...

View user profile

9 OneNote has a camera input on Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:31 pm

OneNote got a big wrap at our development day today. Anyone having any luck with the camera option? I could only get it to take video ...

On a related issue ... does anyone have any tips on how to de-emphasise the number of chins that the lenovo camera view seems to reveal?? Laughing

View user profile

10 Webcam Captures – another way on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:50 pm

G’day everyone,
A fellow teacher stumbled upon this way to get a webcam capture.
1. Open Smart Video Player – it has an icon of a film strip and a red tipped pen/cil -fastest way to get to the program is click the ‘Start’ button and type ‘sm’
2. You should see someone vaguely familiar on screen.
3. Click the third button along the bottom - if you hover your mouse pointer over the button a helpful message will appear – ‘Capture to Notebook (Control + S)’
4. A message will appear - ‘saving ink notes...’ and Smart Notebook will open and minimise to the task bar – its icon is a blue pen/cil over a white notebook against a blue background. Your webcam capture and any subsequent captures will appear in the smart notebook.
5. Right click the pic of your choice, copy and paste where you will.
Vincent

View user profile

11 Re: camera trouble on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:47 pm

Step 1b there, Vincent... Go to Hardware menu and select Lenovo Easy Camera

View user profile

12 double chin camera on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:34 am

Sharpie,
no luck with the chin thing. and i have only taken video too, using adobe premier.I found the video and sound on a slight delay which made me look 2 sanwhiches short of a picnic, add the double chin and the extra wrinkles and you have a video the whole family can enjoy!!!!

Vincent I can't even find the Smart video I have searched the programs list is it hiding somewhere. I would like to give it a burl.
Basketball

View user profile

13 alisa JT on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Alisa,
Yes step 1b was in first draft and fell off - thanks. Smile

JT - check the fastest way....
1. Open Smart Video Player – it has an icon of a film strip and a red tipped pen/cil -fastest way to get to the program is click the ‘Start’ button and type ‘sm’
There are some similar sounding programs which can make it hard to find.

Or..... >Start button>All Programs>SMART Technologies>Notebook Software>SMART Video Player
Hope this helps. bounce
Vincent

View user profile

14 smart video smart recorder on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:54 pm

Vincent, still no joy. smart recorder has a red dot smart video has a green dot. I have tried both with no success. My lenova camera has gone awol. can get a blue camera image on bottom right corner when i press fn esc otherwise no camera. not in start menu and if i go through the hardware all i get is an information screen!! no active camera.

When i open smart video everything is non active, all grey buttons nothing to click.
When i open smart recorder 3 buttons appear and i can record what is happening on the screen. no luck with the still image capture!! No No No
just about ready to give up. Basketball

View user profile

15 JT on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:45 am

JT - don't give up - it's only technology. Wink

Don't know about smart recorder - I didn't go that way.

I can't find any green dot in Smart Video Player with a casual look.

You didn't miss step 1b which I left out but later provided by Alisa >Go to Hardware menu and select Lenovo Easy Camera Question

I don't think you will find lenovo easy camera in the start menu.

I'll try to contact you privately and send screenshots if you like. study

vincent

View user profile

16 camera trouble on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:22 am

you can all stop loosing sleep. Basketball thanks to vincent i have solved the camera issue, although be it clumsy . I can get it to work even if it produces sub standard images.

Cheers

View user profile

17 Re: camera trouble on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:38 am

So, revisiting this topic... is the best way to capture an image with the webcam use Smart Video Player as mentioned earlier?

Have the S1 laptops got a better solution that the T1s?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum