NSW DER Laptops

A forum for teachers that are using the NSW Digital Education Revolution (DER) laptops

You are not connected. Please login or register

How long does a fully charged battery last?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 How long does a fully charged battery last? on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:46 pm

G'day all,

After a couple of days out and about with the laptop, i came to the conclusion if you want a full day's work from the laptop, take the charger.

I wondered if i was being premature so kept an eye on charge today..... battery was fully charged. I was on wifi most of the day. Results were from when I turned it first on in the morning to the first 'will hibernate/need power' warning in the afternoon... cyclops

9:51am – 7 h 53 min (96%)
2:30 pm – 7% - will hibernate - need power

I know there's lotsa variables (I'm guessing I've recharged the battery about twenty times) in here but I'll stick to my conclusion in para 1. elephant

Vincent

View user profile
That is not to bad - certainly heaps better than my current laptop - and far better than the Tablet PC I had last year Very Happy
I have got a max of about 6 hours our of the battery. Mind you when rendering PDF's and Captivate files it was heaps shorter Crying or Very sad

View user profile

Interestingly, the User Charter says that students are not to bring their charger to school.

Could make 'after lunch'/'last period' classes with the DER laptops a challenge.Rolling Eyes
Usually best to take manufacturers' claims with a grain of salt.
Vincent bounce

View user profile
simonjob wrote:Interestingly, the User Charter says that students are not to bring their charger to school.
which makes me wonder what my previous school is going to do. They have a significant number (maybe 10% of students) that live off the grid and rely on diesel generators for power. They will be unable to charge their laptop at home...

I also know of a few schools that are installng powerpoints throughout their rooms to enable the laptops to be charges, reckon they will get a rude shock come electricity bill time!

So far I have Bern getting between 4 and 7 hours from the laptop, depending on what I dong with it. Which is vastly superior to the 2 hours max from my HP lappy

View user profile http://nswder.forumotion.net
duane.galle wrote:
simonjob wrote:Interestingly, the User Charter says that students are not to bring their charger to school.
which makes me wonder what my previous school is going to do. They have a significant number (maybe 10% of students) that live off the grid and rely on diesel generators for power. They will be unable to charge their laptop at home...

I also know of a few schools that are installng powerpoints throughout their rooms to enable the laptops to be charges, reckon they will get a rude shock come electricity bill time!

So far I have Bern getting between 4 and 7 hours from the laptop, depending on what I dong with it. Which is vastly superior to the 2 hours max from my HP lappy

The standard user charter does say that laptops are to be charged at home, and that is simple because most schools' power source isn't rated for 200+ laptops to be charged at the same time (for arguments sake, beginning of first period.) The school can implement its own policy for charging aswell, but the schools also have to comply with NSW DET policies and procedures, and of course in exceptional circumstances such as no power at home, etc. the school will let them charge their laptop at school. They're not evil.

As for battery life, I there is really no estimate on total time, I have gotten a maximum of 4 hours on one fully charged and 16 hours on another fully charged. So as you so adequately put it, it depends on what your doing on it. The batteries that come supplied to students are a upgraded, 'better' if you will, version of the original stock battery.

View user profile http://det.nsw.edu.au
broc.say2 wrote:
duane.galle wrote:

The standard user charter does say that laptops are to be charged at home, and that is simple because most schools' power source isn't rated for 200+ laptops to be charged at the same time (for arguments sake, beginning of first period.) The school can implement its own policy for charging aswell, but the schools also have to comply with NSW DET policies and procedures, and of course in exceptional circumstances such as no power at home, etc. the school will let them charge their laptop at school. They're not evil.

As for battery life, I there is really no estimate on total time, I have gotten a maximum of 4 hours on one fully charged and 16 hours on another fully charged. So as you so adequately put it, it depends on what your doing on it. The batteries that come supplied to students are a upgraded, 'better' if you will, version of the original stock battery.

I you look at the actual amps each laptop would draw it is minuscule - so the increase in power bills would be inconsequential - it is more access to powerpoints in a OHS friendly manner that would be the issue!

View user profile

One issue with not allowing students to bring chargers, apart from the power issue, is the kids that leave Mum's house on Monday morning and go home to Dad's house Monday night - no, they're not going to buy two chargers.

simonjob wrote:One issue with not allowing students to bring chargers, apart from the power issue, is the kids that leave Mum's house on Monday morning and go home to Dad's house Monday night - no, they're not going to buy two chargers.

They are allowed to bring chargers to school in circumstances such as that, but they are not allowed to charge the laptops at school. Of course this is upto local policy but that is the standard.

View user profile http://det.nsw.edu.au

10 Re: How long does a fully charged battery last? on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:16 am

I find that as the months have gone more and more are not lasting the time at school. Will Lenovo provide replacements for these poor performing batteries as they become more and more useless? Afternoon lessons are difficult now. What will they be like in two more years for this years Year 10?

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum