NSW DER Laptops

A forum for teachers that are using the NSW Digital Education Revolution (DER) laptops

You are not connected. Please login or register

DET Intranet

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 DET Intranet on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:56 am

Anyone else notice that when you visit the DET Intranet with a T1 laptop, that plugins try to install (e.g. Adobe Shockwave) - they are unsuccessful.
I though these machines had all plugins installed.

2 Re: DET Intranet on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:02 am

Yeah I've been having the same problem.

Also, we have terminal server access to our school's server, which is great as I can access TimeChart, RISC etc from home. However, I can;t use the DER laptop as I don't have administrator privelleges to install the DirectX component.

Bummer!

View user profile http://nswder.forumotion.net

3 bummer on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:13 pm

will we ever get administrator rights!!!!! Crying or Very sad Basketball

View user profile

4 Re: DET Intranet on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:44 pm

JT wrote:will we ever get administrator rights!!!!! Crying or Very sad Basketball
No Sad

View user profile

5 Re: DET Intranet on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:03 pm

You can not install anything on the Laptops as of the first rollout. Which is rather hard on users, for Flash, Shockwave etc. DET is looking into this.

simonborgert wrote:
JT wrote:will we ever get administrator rights!!!!! Crying or Very sad Basketball
No Sad

You do not require it.

View user profile http://det.nsw.edu.au

6 Re: DET Intranet on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:18 pm

broc.say2 wrote:
simonborgert wrote:
No Sad

You do not require it.

LOL this is typical of the DET. I can think of a prety wide variety of reasons why it would be useful and more practical for either individual teachers or at least one person in the school to have admin access. However, I can partially understand the reasons for the DET refusing to give us this.

View user profile http://nswder.forumotion.net

7 Re: DET Intranet on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:28 pm

I can accept no admin rights, but it does limit things (for example, I use Delicious for bookmarks, but cannot install the browser add-on).

So, I think it's reasonable to expect that the DER project would be:
1. open to suggestions for new software (and other items, plugins, utilities (e.g. browser addons), fonts) to be added to the machines - and undertake a proper review process before dismissing things. I suggested a font to the DER project the other day which writes tally marks for recording data. Rejected quickly.
2. Be prompt with software updates, e.g. the T1 laptops have an old version of GeoGebra and lack version 2.0 of the Lesson activity toolkit for SMART Notebook.

8 Re: DET Intranet on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:03 pm

simonjob wrote:I can accept no admin rights, but it does limit things (for example, I use Delicious for bookmarks, but cannot install the browser add-on).

1. open to suggestions for new software (and other items, plugins, utilities (e.g. browser addons), fonts) to be added to the machines - and undertake a proper review process before dismissing things. I suggested a font to the DER project the other day which writes tally marks for recording data. Rejected quickly.
2. Be prompt with software updates, e.g. the T1 laptops have an old version of GeoGebra and lack version 2.0 of the Lesson activity toolkit for SMART Notebook.

I agree -can handle no admin rights - but need to be able to install plugins! If software is kept up to date okay

View user profile

9 Re: DET Intranet on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:22 am

simonborgert wrote:
simonjob wrote:I can accept no admin rights, but it does limit things (for example, I use Delicious for bookmarks, but cannot install the browser add-on).

I agree -can handle no admin rights - but need to be able to install plugins! If software is kept up to date okay

The DET DER Team is currently looking into this.

View user profile http://det.nsw.edu.au

10 Re: DET Intranet on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:59 pm

would love to know when version 2.0 of the Lesson activity toolkit for SMART Notebook becomes available and still need something done about group policies that is not letting the program stu' double jeopardy run.
Do you know about the c drives missing in action is I am just waiting patiently for the teething problems to get sorted. Basketball

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum