NSW DER Laptops

A forum for teachers that are using the NSW Digital Education Revolution (DER) laptops

You are not connected. Please login or register

student response network

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 student response network on Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:20 pm

I am thinking this will be a great tool. I was just wondering if anyone has used it yet to see how it works, perhaps in one of the pilot schools. can anyone help??

View user profile

2 Re: student response network on Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:32 pm

I installed it on a DET Lenovo workstation to see how it worked and it's viability in School networks. Correct me if I am missing the point of it, but I think the SRN is just reinventing the wheel. When classes are taught in computer labs or laptop learning spaces, conventional teaching methods such as verbal communication, would be much simpler and less complicated than these systems. To have to use these systems, over regular teaching is just rubbing salt into the wound. But that is just my opinion, if you would like to use it, you can install it in computer labs or if you want it on the S1's you can request it to be in the next software rollout, if one is to occur.

View user profile http://det.nsw.edu.au

3 Re: student response network on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:06 pm

broc.say2 wrote:...Correct me if I am missing the point of it, but I think the SRN is just reinventing the wheel...if you would like to use it, you can install it in computer labs or if you want it on the S1's you can request it to be in the next software rollout, if one is to occur.

Umm, isn't the SRN already on the laptops? It certainly is on the T1s.

As far as reinventing the wheel, there are many advantages to using the SRN over traditional verbal communicative methods. For instance, students that are reluctant to draw attention to themselves by volunteering answers, students with speech impediments, ESL/NESB students etc, may all find the SRN to be a more accessible method of communicating answers. Additionally, the nature of it lends itself to a competitive game-like environment. Finally, there are many subjects/topics where annonomity (sp?) might be useful - questions on safe sex or drug use for instance.

View user profile http://nswder.forumotion.net

4 Re: student response network on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:37 am

You certainly raise an interesting point there Duane, and I would have to agree with you there about a few things. Certainly worth a try in some schools. I haven't seen SRN on the T1s in my office and it is certainly not on my S1s, but I don't believe the T1s were standardised as much as the S1s. I might have to look for it on other devices.

5 Re: student response network on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:21 am

Broc, a question about your background and the role of the TSO's. Please don't take this as any sort of personal dig at you (or any other TSO).

One of my main concerns (and that of other staff I have spoken to) is that many TSO's will use their role as a springboard into a "proper" IT job and as a result we will have a huge turnover of TSOs. From what I understood of the position requirements, the TSO role is very much an entry level one, with minimal education and IT requirements. Now that's not to say that there will not be very qualified, experienced, enthusastic people appointed to the role - but I am worried that we will get people with little (if any) technical background that will use the on-the-job training and experience to upskill and then move on to greener pastures. Considering the potential scope of the role, I feel that the TSO's are grossly underpaid and the DET may be shooting themselves in the foot in the long term.

Any thoughts?

6 Re: student response network on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:54 am

Duane,

I agree with you completly, this is an entry level 'job' and it was the largest springboard I could find. It is scary when I met other TSOs to learn that they have little to no experience in Information Technology and the ones that do, don't have any experience with managemental IT. I promise you though that some TSOs, such as myself, have been to University, and are highly trained. And yes, there are greener pastures, I am underpaid, and DET is always shooting themselves.

Regards,

7 Re: student response network on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:21 am

broc.say2 wrote:Correct me if I am missing the point of it, but I think the SRN is just reinventing the wheel. When classes are taught in computer labs or laptop learning spaces, conventional teaching methods such as verbal communication, would be much simpler and less complicated than these systems.

Broc, SRN is an free (for DET schools) alternative to the more expensive key log or clicker systems that are out there used in conjunction with Interactive Whiteboards.

I suggest you look at the site: Student Response network
It can be used for:
- “Beat the Buzzer”-type gameshow questions (first-in gets to answer)
- Yes/No or True/False questions
- Multiple Choice questions (up to four way – A/B/C/D)

The server app automatically tallies the responses for the teacher to later review.

From an eduactional point of view, many students are reluctant to put their hand up in class - but with SRN they can do so without the fear.
Reluctant students have to make a response and the answers can be checked and recorded to identify weaknesses or areas of concern.

It can be used as a discussion starter to discuss why people have different opinions than others.
It can be used as a "class testing tool"

It is currently being used a lot of classrooms, especially in Sydney Region. We have even tested the system across video conferences between schools.

View user profile http://sts.sydneyr.det.nsw.edu.au

8 Re: student response network on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:22 pm

Greg,

I am well aware of what SRN is, how it works and its current use in classrooms in Sydney. But thank you for making sure that I did. As you are entitled to your own opinion about SRN, so am I, so I would appreciate it in the future if you didn't view my opinion on things as ignorance.

Thank you.

Regards,
Broc.

9 Re: student response network on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:44 am

broc.say2 wrote:Greg,

I am well aware of what SRN is, how it works and its current use in classrooms in Sydney. But thank you for making sure that I did. As you are entitled to your own opinion about SRN, so am I, so I would appreciate it in the future if you didn't view my opinion on things as ignorance.

Broc, I was not implying ignorance nor having a go at you, just pointing out the valid Educational usage of such software.

10 Re: student response network on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:50 pm

Greg Sharkey wrote: pointing out the valid Educational usage of such software.

And herein lies one of the (IMHO) potential problems with the TSO position - having no education background may lead to conflict or misunderstanding with teaching staff and their wants/needs and priorities.

In my opinion, it would have been better to make the TSO position a Head Teacher-type role, with a substantial reduction of face-to-face. This would also limit the possibility for conflict between the TSO and students.

Just my 2cents

11 Re: student response network on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:02 pm

duane.galle wrote:
Greg Sharkey wrote: pointing out the valid Educational usage of such software.

And herein lies one of the (IMHO) potential problems with the TSO position - having no education background may lead to conflict or misunderstanding with teaching staff and their wants/needs and priorities.

In my opinion, it would have been better to make the TSO position a Head Teacher-type role, with a substantial reduction of face-to-face. This would also limit the possibility for conflict between the TSO and students.

Just my 2cents

Duly noted.

12 Re: student response network on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:33 am

The TSO position is a comprimise between fucntion and cost.

If the TSO position was made a Head teacher level, then the cost would have been above that provided by the Federal Government and also would have been an unsustainable level.

As a tso, a head teacher would be an expensive option.

There is no need for the TSO level to have educational background. It is up to the Educationalist - the CC - to provide the interface between educational needs and the technical know how. The CC should be able to describe the educational requirements and the technician be able to provide the technical solution to meet those needs.

13 Re: student response network on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:40 am

Greg Sharkey wrote:The TSO position is a comprimise between fucntion and cost.

If the TSO position was made a Head teacher level, then the cost would have been above that provided by the Federal Government and also would have been an unsustainable level.

As a tso, a head teacher would be an expensive option.

There is no need for the TSO level to have educational background. It is up to the Educationalist - the CC - to provide the interface between educational needs and the technical know how. The CC should be able to describe the educational requirements and the technician be able to provide the technical solution to meet those needs.

I understand this, and to an extent agree with it. However, it is likely that the laptops are going to create a significant amount of work for existing head-teachers; curriculum/program development and discipline being the two main areas. My thought was just that if the TSO had been a HT then the extra work generated across the entire school would have had someone responsible.

In my experience, the DET has been generally unwilling to provide the funding neccessary to adequately support technology in schools. Consider that most high schools would have approximately 100+ desktops, will now have about 120+ laptops, service around 800+ users, printers, smartboards etc. In most other circumstances a business of this size would have an IT staff or 2 or 3 professionals. In schools we get a part-time CC (often with no technical background) and now a TSO.

The appointment of TSOs is a huge step in the right direction, but I believe there is still a LONG way to go if the DET is serious about ICT and education.

14 Re: student response network on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:41 am

Ok guys I am going to try and get then SRN up and running on thursday after school with a few teachers. has anyone had practical experience and success with this tool, and is there anything i should know that might help with our first go!! Basketball

View user profile

15 Re: student response network on Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:50 pm

I can't wait to get SRN up and running in my classroom. From an educational point of view clicker style systems are an awesome tool. This highlights the difference between the skill set of TSO's (essentially a DER clerk) and a teacher who is entrusted with a HT type role for integrating technology into schools. But Greg if you need a HT to try out a new position - I'm interested Smile

View user profile

16 Re: student response network on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:39 am

I too am very eager to use the SRN in the classroom. I am trying to get it to my students to use when I can, but the students do not have laptops yet. Then comes the news from schools where the students are getting the laptops that SRN is not installed, and it sounds like ITD have made some foolish decision.Sad
The long and the short of it is... I am wondering whether the SRN is going to be on the laptops? Question
Also, is there any way that teachers can do something to ensure it is on the laptops?

View user profile http://cm.site-hosts.net

17 Re: student response network on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:48 am

Col,

You might want to ask that question on the ICT Support Forum for Schools run by the Sydney IT Region.

Stu Hasic, the creator of the SRN, runs the forum.

18 Re: student response network on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:43 am

well i am baffled by the situation. client is on the t1 laptops so what is the go here?? will send of an email to stu thank simonjob Basketball

View user profile

19 Re: student response network on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:11 am

Email: DER-NSW@det.nsw.edu.au fire off an email to these people and ask the question, apparently it was removed from the laptops for an educational review. It is now out of stu's hands so perhaps we should all be asking the question????

View user profile

20 SRN request on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:34 am

JT wrote:Email: DER-NSW@det.nsw.edu.au fire off an email to these people and ask the question, apparently it was removed from the laptops for an educational review. It is now out of stu's hands so perhaps we should all be asking the question????
Yes. Done that. Others should send the email too. I haven't met a teacher yet that doesn't see SRN as a great tool with lots of uses in the classroom.

21 Re: student response network on Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:45 am

From the FAQ on the Intranet:

# Why is Student Response Network (SRN) no longer available?

SRN client was on the Test Driver image and was accidentally included on the T1 image. It will not appear on the latest T1 re-image. SRN will be evaluated for inclusion on the DER-NSW devices under the new DET software evaluation process. Information on this evaluation process will be published shortly.

22 Re: student response network on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:01 pm

I think the SRN is just reinventing the wheel. When classes are taught in computer labs or laptop learning spaces, conventional teaching methods such as verbal communication, would be much simpler and less complicated than these systems

View user profile

23 SRN record keeping on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:15 am

Lee, the SRN is much more powerful than write your answers on a piece of paper or "hands up if you think..." type of quizzes. The differences are:
  • Motivation - It gives the students a game type feel that is never present in a quiz with a piece of paper.

• Immediate feedback for the student - The teacher has the opportunity to provide immediate feedback where each student can see how their response compares to the rest of the class.

• Immediate feedback for the teacher - the teacher has the opportunity to observe how the class is going with each question, and so adapt their following questions to further analyse where the students are at.

• Discrete - the students are able to answer without anyone knowing what their answer was (including if it was wrong). This feature can also be switched off or on.

• Opportunity for immediate record of each students response - compare this with a written quiz where the teacher has to then mark all those responses, and then think of how to analyse it.

• Opportunity for a permanent record of student performance on the quiz. Compare this to a verbal quiz where the teacher would have to record what each student wrote for their answers as each questions is given (clearly impossible - who put their hand up for A? Did Bill have his hand up or was it Andre?).

(I could mention its benefits in terms of how it saves on preparation time for teachers, but I may be seen as being unprofessional to mention such a thing Smile ).
Please Lee have a decent look at the capabilities of SRN before you write it off. I see a few of its potentials in terms of:
  • Pre-quiz - quickly assess where your class is at before a topic so that you know whether what you are planning on teaching will actually be where the students are at.

• Revision at end of lesson (or any other point) to check whether what you covered has actually hit home with the students.

• Homework check ("Read this for homework and tomorrow I will give you a quick quiz on what you have read")

The ideas keep going on.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum