NSW DER Laptops

A forum for teachers that are using the NSW Digital Education Revolution (DER) laptops

You are not connected. Please login or register

some minor issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 some minor issues on Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:56 am

I've been on the phone to the HelpDesk, but they weren't able to help me.

I used the SetS10e shortcut on my desktop to turn off the virtual desktop size, but now want to turn it back on. The setxga shortcut does not do it though. Helpdesk guy's response was "well, it should!" I thought so too! Has anyone else had this problem? I've restarted and tried thr shortcut again; no dice.)

I'm also getting a Windows Activation popup, telling me I need to be an admin. (My staff commissioned their T1s yesterday, and a few told me that they received it too.) HelpDesk guy told me to click Cancel, but it's reappearing. Any suggestions?

Lastly, is there a fast, easy way to capture with the camera? I teach HSIE, and it would be great for fieldwork... but I can't seem to activate it quickly. HelpDesk guy told me to open Adobe Captivate and capture pictures that way, but that seems a little time/labour intensive if I want my kids to just snap some pics and include them in some fieldnotes using OneNote or similar?

View user profile

2 Re: some minor issues on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:52 am

I have the same problems...

- Setxga doesn't work.
- Windows Activation pop-up, regularly.

Also,
There's a flagged item in the System Tray about updating Microsoft Forefront Client Security - it does not resolve and I left it connected to the network for a long time.

As to capturing an image, it does seem like an oversight. They really need something like the Photo Booth application in Mac. I'm guessing that Lenovo would normally provide a little app?

You can capture video from the webcam in Adobe Premiere Elements, although when I tried Stop Motion, thinking I could just grab a single frame, I caused a blue screen of death Sad

Adobe Photoshop Elements doesn't seem to have a capture.

3 Re: some minor issues on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:06 am

You might be able to use an online webcam capture service, e.g. http://www.sillywebcam.com/tools/virtual-photo-booth.htm (although currently blocked in the DET and besides that, it doesnt' work - gives me an error)

4 Re: some minor issues on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:03 pm

alisa.williams wrote:

I'm also getting a Windows Activation popup, telling me I need to be an admin. (My staff commissioned their T1s yesterday, and a few told me that they received it too.) HelpDesk guy told me to click Cancel, but it's reappearing. Any suggestions?

The Windows Activation will continue to pop up until early August, when the laptops will need to be reimaged. This is because they currently have the Release Canditure (RC) version of Windows 7. Microsoft actually doesn't have any activation servers setup, since Windows 7 hasn't officially been released. In August all schools should have a technical officer appointed (or share between schools depending on size). They will need to grab all DER laptops and reimage them - so make sure you have backups of all data you have saved to the laptop. Once reimaged, they will have the "full" version of Windows 7 installed and so the activation error will no longer popup.

Duane

View user profile http://nswder.forumotion.net

5 Re: some minor issues on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:09 pm

Good to know, thanks Duane

View user profile

6 Re: some minor issues on Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 am

duane.galle wrote:
alisa.williams wrote:

The Windows Activation will continue to pop up until early August, when the laptops will need to be reimaged. This is because they currently have the Release Canditure (RC) version of Windows 7. Microsoft actually doesn't have any activation servers setup, since Windows 7 hasn't officially been released. In August all schools should have a technical officer appointed (or share between schools depending on size). They will need to grab all DER laptops and reimage them - so make sure you have backups of all data you have saved to the laptop. Once reimaged, they will have the "full" version of Windows 7 installed and so the activation error will no longer popup.

Duane
The RC of Windows 7 I have installed on 2 other machines doen't have this issue. My setxg works fine.

View user profile

7 Re: some minor issues on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:04 am

I have heard that it is possible to run a script (when connected to the DET network in your school) that activates windows. However, no-one has been able to tell me WHERE this script is located Rolling Eyes

Irrespective of this - the laptops will be getting reimaged sometime in August - so make sure you backup your data!

View user profile http://nswder.forumotion.net

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum