NSW DER Laptops

A forum for teachers that are using the NSW Digital Education Revolution (DER) laptops

You are not connected. Please login or register

Unhelpful Help Desk

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Unhelpful Help Desk on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 am

Have got a problem with my wireless not working after playing with the bluetooth capabilities. Computer says it is on, but in the systems propewrties it is switched off and won't allow me to reconnect it. After various conversation with the help desk.....OMG -- recieved an email last week about the problem and I cannot believe the stupidity of the help desk.

"Dear ______
We are pleased to inform you that your reported Incident has been resolved.

Summary: DER:Laptop: Network connection (wireless)

Your reported Incident has been resolved with the following resolution:

Will be resolved by update to image on netbook. Waiting for DMIG to release the image and imaging tools."

Generic email or not, and mixed tenses aside, I really do not understand how one can call a problem fixed unless the proposed resolution to the problem has been applied and successfully resolved the problem !

The help desk has gone from telling me it is a hardware problem to acknowledging it is a software issue, and then saying the problem is fixed when for me it clearly has not been.

I relogged the complaint, after some searching for the online complaint service only to discover the limited application of problems allowed to be logged and recieved a second email:

"A solution for re-imaging netbooks is currently overdue for release. As soon as this is provided, the school TSO will be notified and they will reimage that netbook in order to resolve the problem.
In the meantime, once the school has its S1 allocation of netbooks, it will be possible for the TSO to loan you a netbook from the pool of spare netbooks provided for you to use until the netbook can be reimaged.
Please note that no offence is intended with the "We are pleased to inform you that your problem has been resolved" text from the email. It is a generic auto-generated email that we have no control over."

Again -- if the solution has not been successfully applied and the issue resolved then I don't see how you can call it so. No date for the update has been given even in estimate, and no problem resolved.

View user profile

2 Re: Unhelpful Help Desk on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:56 am

Yep, this is going to be happening a lot over the next few years. Too many issues, not enough resources allocated.

Best option: Keep fiddling with it. It'll eventually start working again.

View user profile

3 Unhelpful Help Desk on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:31 pm

CDQ_1

Fair enough -- I can accept that, but I have been fiddling with it for over two months now to no avail. It is in the hands of the TSO for supposed reimaging during the hols and I have a shiny little red thing in its place which won't let me access half the stuff I could before (ie facebook and youtube at home through my own wireless).

4 Re: Unhelpful Help Desk on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Yeah, and when your laptop is returned it'll have the same image on it. You'll never be able to access facebook again

View user profile

5 Re: Unhelpful Help Desk on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:01 pm

Well facebook I can live without as I won't use the DET laptop at home much anyway but YouTube at school is so useful for many different subjects -- showing play excerpts, tutorials for IT, interviews, orchestras for music etc... Looks like I will be doing my usual trick of downloading at home and putting them on the portable hard drive to transport.
It seems as thought the new laptops aren't really going to change anything in terms of teaching when our hands are tied from accessing anything useful, and we apparently won't be able to access any of the software on our school server from them either. Tonite the laptop wouldn't let me on here -- but it did last night. At least my wiki's and blogs are not blocked...yet !

View user profile

6 Re: Unhelpful Help Desk on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:53 pm

CDQ-1 wrote:Tonite the laptop wouldn't let me on here -- but it did last night. !

My laptop has never let me come here.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum