NSW DER Laptops

A forum for teachers that are using the NSW Digital Education Revolution (DER) laptops

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just a little freedom

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Just a little freedom on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Hello,
I am a certain student in Yr9 finding that the school laptops too restrictive to get real work done on them. I find all my informative research sites blocked and I cannot install foreign software onto the laptop such as tablet drivers. I find it hard in class to keep with with all the programs just simply required to draw a mindmap. I'm really sick of all the constant hoop-jumping required just to push the digital education revolution. Can't I just draw the mindmap in my book? That and my typing speed on the DET laptop is abysmally slow because of the tiny keys. It's impractical compared to my 86 wpm handwriting speed. On my own computer I use Windows' tablet support to recongnise my handwriting. When I tried to use the DET laptop they refused to let me install the tablet driver that allows me to use my tablet device in class. I wish the government would authorise this and the Corel Painter software I use to digitally paint. Those are my worst gripes with my DET laptop which is why I am intending to break the charter on purpose so I can finally be free of being driven to use a laptop I find hardly initiative.

I hope the DET authorise these two pieces of software for educational use. It would benefit me greatly.
Henry.

View user profile

2 Re: Just a little freedom on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:01 am

Aerois wrote:Hello,
When I tried to use the DET laptop they refused to let me install the tablet driver that allows me to use my tablet device in class. I wish the government would authorise this and the Corel Painter software I use to digitally paint.

I hope the DET authorise these two pieces of software for educational use. It would benefit me greatly.
Henry.

You may want the driver for a particular tablet, then other people will want the driver for xyz tablet, and xyz device - how many drivers and what drivers do DET need to install (and maintain)?

As to Corel Painter, this is comercial software whaich we do not have a licence for - again what software etc do we need to install/purchase/maintain - everyone has different opinions on the software required. The device comes with a lot of software which DET already licences.

View user profile http://sts.sydneyr.det.nsw.edu.au

3 Re: Just a little freedom on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply,

Would be nice to have certain drivers whitelisted? Wacom issues 1 driver to cover all Windows 7 computers. They are the most common brand of tablet and make up most of the market. I hope that the department can unblock Windows 7's feature that automatically detects and installs the relevant drivers for all printers, tablets etc. That would really help. As for Corel Painter, I can definitely live without it.

Windows 7 has a built in driver to handle tablets as mice, I'll admit, it's pretty terrible with the options and actual style of tracking. Is it possible for you to at least enable handwriting to text which is a built in function of Windows 7? (no drivers or additional software)

Is the DET thinking about allowing more freedom in the control panel? I take French as a subject and I find it extremely difficult to type French accents. (I use handwriting to text on my Macintosh I bring in from home). Is it possible for you guys to give us a bit more free reign over language packs, Windows tablet input support and the whole Windows Update thing?

Is it possible to do this on your DET servers? I know Windows 7 Enterprise works on a local update system. Perhaps putting the relevant language packs on the school server based on what languages are offered by the school?

If the DET doesn't implament this, am I allowed to connect my own personal Macintosh to the school wireless? My Macbook is draft-n wireless capable, but I can't seem to connect to the school servers. (I'm not trying to hack it or anything, it's just that I am required to bring my DET laptop to connect to the internet but I need to also bring my Macbook (teachers let me)to draw flowcharts, diagrams, accented words etc.).

Thanks for your time,

Henry

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum