NSW DER Laptops

A forum for teachers that are using the NSW Digital Education Revolution (DER) laptops

You are not connected. Please login or register

Holidays are over

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Holidays are over on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:19 am

Holidays are over people it is time to get on with the job.

Welcome back .
I have a new job this year, I have been taken off class bar 4 periods and am working on upskilling staff on laptops and team teaching in classroom taking tecnology by the horns.
I am loving it but it is time for the never ending questions for you computer gurus.
i have heard a whisper that there is some text to speech capabilities on the laptop somewhere. Is this a true story, if so what is it???. We have read and write gold on our school system but need something similar on the laptops, any ideas?? Basketball

View user profile

2 Re: Holidays are over on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:59 am

Yeah after spending the Xmas holidays travelling throughout Europe I am really struggling with being back at work Sad

Anyway, yes there is text-to-speech on the laptop, it is a part of WIndows called "Narrator" you can switch it on by going to:
Control Panel
Ease of Access Center
Narrator

There is also speech recognition built into Windows7 - also in the Control Panel then Speech Recognition.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and how on earth did you get such a job? This is exactly the kind of thing I would love to be doing, but there is no way that with our current staffing level that it would be possible Sad

View user profile http://nswder.forumotion.net

3 Re: Holidays are over on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:51 am

i probabley owe you guys a vote of thanx. it was because i got so much info from this forum when i was exploring the laptop and jumped ahead in leaps and bounds, became a real laptop leader at school. we got partnerships money which has allowed the employment of someone to do my job. so thank you for all your knowledge. I am loving going to work each day. so much to do and learn.
I found narrator but am not having much luck making it work. it is fairly limited only works in note pad and wordpad and i am tring to get the keyboard short cuts to work.
Trying to find some sort of substitiute for read and write gold so kids can get some benefits.

had an infocus vc the other day thought i might give video podcasts a go. easy capture software won't run on laptop, incompatability issues. found something in one note that allows for limited video footage, have you had any luck with anything else??

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum